As a global business with offices and operational assets all around the world, we’re part of the economies and communities where we operate.
We know that with this depth of commitment comes responsibility - to give back to society and make a fair contribution to the areas we operate in.
While the commodities we produce help improve the quality of life of billions of people around the world, our contribution is much broader.
Some of the ways we contribute include:
- Economic contributions: last year1 our total global economic contribution was US$26.1 billion (through payments to suppliers, wages and employee benefits, dividends, taxes and royalties)
- Employment and careers: we have a team of 60,000 employees and contractors located across 87 locations
- Supporting local businesses and suppliers: last year we paid US$13.6 billion to our suppliers. Our local procurement plans enabled us to direct 22% of our external expenditure to local suppliers.
- Payments to governments: we provided total payments to governments of US$4.7 billion last year, which represents an effective tax rate of 34% (44% once royalties are included);
- Social investments: we directed US$72.9 million in social investment in 2017, which includes contributions to the BHP Billiton Foundation.
Our contributions at a glance
We are proud of these contributions and voluntarily disclose information about our economic contribution so we’re clear with our stakeholders.
For more information, read about our contributions in Australia.
1 FY17 actuals.