orange gradient

BHP Billiton Acquires Exploration And Production Rights Offshore The Falkland Islands

Falkland Island Licenses

BHP Billiton announced today that it has acquired an interest in 14 exploration and production licenses offshore the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic. The Company signed contracts with Falkland Oil and Gas Limited (FOGL) for rights to explore and, if successful, eventually produce oil and gas from the East Falkland Basin located off the southern and eastern coast of the Falkland Islands.

BHP Billiton holds a 40 per cent interest in the acreage and is the designated operator.  Falkland Oil and Gas Limited hold the remaining 60 percent interest.  The production licenses cover approximately 18 million acres and are located in water depths ranging from approximately 656 to 6,570 feet (approximately 200 to 2,000 meters).  

"We believe this substantial Falklands acreage will be a good addition to BHP Billiton Petroleum’s global portfolio and we look forward to working with our partner to pursue this under explored area," said Steve O’Rourke, President, Exploration, BHP Billiton Petroleum. "With our strong focus on growth, we now hold a significant interest in this high potential basin and will utilise the talent of our team to safely execute an exploration program in the Falkland Islands."