24 January 2020
UPDATE #2: Australian Bushfire Support
BHP and the BHP Foundation have each continued to support recovery efforts for the people, wildlife and environment impacted by the devastating Australian bushfires.
The BHP Foundation has donated AU$2.5 million and BHP’s contributions now total approximately AU$1 million.
- BHP Foundation AU $2.5 million previously announced (Australian Red Cross AU$2 million, Zoos Australia AU$250,000, WIRES AU$250,000).
- BHP Olympic Dam: AU$100,000 to the South Australian CFS Foundation.
- BHP Petroleum Australia (via our 50% stake in the Gippsland Basin Joint Venture operated by Esso): AU $430,000 to the Gippsland Relief Fund.
- BHP ‘Matched Giving’: AU$540,000 (BHP employees have donated AU$180,000 to eligible organisations to date; BHP has matched at a 2:1 ratio with an additional AU$360,000).
Eligible bushfire relief organisations for BHP’s Matched Giving program are:
- Australian Red Cross
- RSPCA: animal welfare agency
- NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW Rural Fire Service & Brigades Donations Fund)
- South Australia Country Fire Service (CFS Foundation Inc.)
- Victorian Country Fire Authority
- WIRES (Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service NSW)
- Bushfire Emergency Wildlife Fund (Zoos Victoria)
UPDATE: Australian bushfire support
In addition to the AU$2 million already donated to Australian Red Cross, the BHP Foundation will make a AU$500,000 donation to be evenly distributed between Zoos Victoria and the WIRES Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation to assist with bushfire relief efforts.
This brings the BHP Foundation’s total bushfire relief contribution to AU$2.5 million.
The Foundation’s donation to Zoos Victoria and WIRES will be used to support the rescue and recovery of impacted wildlife and longer-term habitat recovery. Further to the BHP Foundation’s contribution, BHP will match employee donations to eligible non-profit organisations supporting the bushfire relief through the BHP Matched Giving Program. Through this program, BHP will donate two dollars to eligible non-profit organisations for every dollar donated by an employee.
So far, BHP employees have donated AU$140,000 to eligible organisations, with BHP contributing a further AU$280,000.
The BHP Foundation will donate AU$2M to Australian Red Cross to support emergency relief efforts to bushfire impacted regions around Australia.
The loss of lives and livelihoods from the bushfires is tragic. Fires have burnt through 5.8 million hectares across Australia, destroyed more than 1,700 homes, regional communities have evacuated and some people are missing. The continuing impact on people, communities and their land and livelihood is devastating and widespread across Australia.
The Foundation’s donation will help Australian Red Cross provide immediate support through evacuation centres, psychological first aid and emergency assistance including cash grants to people who have lost homes as well as support longer-term recovery programs in fire-affected communities.