BS, MBA / Independent
Gary has been a Director of BHP Group Limited and BHP Group Plc since February 2020 and the Senior Independent Director of BHP Group Plc since 22 December 2020.
Skills and experience:
Mr Goldberg has more than 35 years’ of global experience in the mining industry, including in executive, operational and strategic roles.
In his most recent role, Gary Goldberg served as Chief Executive Officer of Newmont Goldcorp Corporation, which is one of the world’s largest gold producers. Prior to joining Newmont in 2011, Mr Goldberg spent 30 years at Rio Tinto where he held senior executive roles, most recently as President and Chief Executive Officer of Rio Tinto Minerals Inc., and in leadership roles in Rio Tinto’s coal, gold, copper and industrial minerals businesses.
Other directorships and offices (current and recent):
- Former Advisor, Newmont Goldcorp Corporation (from October 2019 to March 2020).
- Former President and Chief Executive Officer of Newmont Mining Corporation (from 2013 to 2019), and Chief Executive of the merged Newmont Goldcorp Corporation (April 2019 – September 2019).
- Former Director (from 2013 to 2019) and Treasurer (from 2017 to 2019) of the International Council on Mining and Metals.
- Former Vice Chair of the World Gold Council (from 2017 to 2019).
- Former Co-Chair of the World Economic Forum for Mining and Metals Governors (from 2016 to 2017).
- Former President and Chief Executive Officer of Rio Tinto Minerals Inc. (from 2006 to 2011).
Board Committee memberships:
- Member of the Remuneration Committee
- Member of the Sustainability Committee
- Member of the Nomination and Governance Committee.