Beng / Independent
John has been a Director of BHP Group Limited and BHP Group Plc since October 2017.
Skills and experience:
John has significant global executive experience, including in oil and gas, capital allocation discipline, commodity value chains and health, safety and environment. John has also held roles as a non-executive director on a number of boards.
John spent the majority of his career in various leadership, technical and operational roles at BP Plc . He was the Managing Director and an Operating Partner of First Reserve, a large global energy focused private equity firm, from 2009 until 2015, during which he served on the boards of First Reserve’s investee companies, including as Chair of Amromco Energy LLC and White Rose Energy Ventures LLP. John retired from the boards of Weir Group Plc and one of First Reserve’s portfolio companies, DOF Subsea AS, in 2018, and is currently on the board of ERM Worldwide Group Limited.
Other directorships and offices (current and recent):
- Non-executive Director of ERM Worldwide Group Limited (since 2015).
- Former Non-executive Director of Network Rail Limited (from 2016 to 2017).
- Former Managing Director (from 2012 to 2015) and Operating Partner (from 2009 to 2012) of First Reserve Corporation.
- Former Non-executive Director of Midstates Petroleum Company Inc. (from 2011 to 2016).
- Former Non-executive Director of CHC Group Limited (from 2014 to 2015) and CHC Helicopters SA (from 2012 to 2015).
- Former Non-executive Director of DOF Subsea AS (from 2009 to 2018).
- Former Non-executive Director of Weir Group Plc (from 2008 to 2018).
Board Committee membership:
- Chair of the Sustainability Committee.
- Member of the Nomination and Governance Committee