Skip to content
English Português

Responding to the tragedy following the failure of the Fundão tailings dam at Samarco on 5 November 2015 is a priority for BHP. Fundação Renova (the Renova Foundation) was established to implement a set of remediation and compensation programs to address the impacts caused by Samarco’s Fundão Dam failure. Our team in Brazil are focused on doing everything they can to support the response efforts, repair and maintain existing dams, rebuild communities and restore the environment impacted by the dam failure.

BHP and Vale each holds a 50 per cent interest in Samarco.

Renova Foundation

On the Repair Path

An overview of the Renova Foundation, its programs, as well as details on delivery across all themes and information on progress.

Discover more
Samarco

Samarco updates

www.fundacaorenova.org

BHP's ongoing response four years after the Fundão dam failure

BHP's response to the failure of Samarco’s Fundão Dam in Brazil has been a complex technical and social process. Four years after the dam failure, our colleagues from BHP Brazil discuss the work being done to remediate and compensate the affected people and environment. Although progress is slow in some areas, with the support of our team in Brazil, the Renova Foundation has made significant progress in 42 wide-ranging socio-economic and environmental programs. The work has been impressive, but a lot remains to be done and BHP is committed to continuing to do the right thing and ensure full and fair remediation and compensation.

Latest photo galleries

Discover more

Paracatu de baixo community presented with public facility projects for resettlement

More

The proposals selected for the second phase of the doce rfp mg

More

Interactive progress map of work conducted by the Renova Foundation

More

More on Samarco

Samarco received in October 2019 the Corrective Operational License (LOC) authorizing the restart of activities in the Germano Complex. For this return to occur safely and sustainably and using new technologies, Samarco will start building a filtration plant, which should take approximately 12 months. Once implemented, 80% of the tailings will be safely dewatered and stacked, and the remaining 20% will be deposited in the Alegria Sul pit, a confined structure whose preparation has already been completed. After the implementation of the filtration system, Samarco will be able to resume its production.

More
Samarco
Loading the player...