Contribution to Australia
BHP and the resources industry has helped provide the rich and prosperous economy that Australians enjoy today.
- We employ around 35,000 people1 and pay our employees around twice the national average
- We provide returns to vast numbers of shareholders - one in three Australians has interests in BHP through their superannuation (along with half a million direct shareholders)
- We are represented in many, often remote communities, across Australia and use many local suppliers and businesses (last year we paid A$9 billion to suppliers)
- Last year we made A$5 billion in payments to Australian governments and, over the last ten years, we have paid A$66 billion taxes and royalties (with an effective tax rate of 43.4% when you include royalties). To put this in perspective this would fund the construction of more than two capital city hospitals every year!
- All of these factors last year added up to a total direct economic contribution in Australia of A$20 billion (including our payments to suppliers, wages and employee benefits, dividends, taxes and royalties).
Our contributions to Australia at a glance
For more information, read about our contributions globally.
1 FY17 actuals.