Contribution to Australia
BHP and the resources industry has helped provide the rich and prosperous economy that Australians enjoy today.
- We employ around 39,158 people1 and pay our employees around twice the national average
- We provide returns to vast numbers of shareholders - one in three Australians has interests in BHP through their superannuation (along with half a million direct shareholders)
- We are represented in many, often remote communities, across Australia and use many local suppliers and businesses (last year we paid US$7.9 billion2 to suppliers)
- Last year we made US$7.1 billion2 in payments to Australian governments and, over the last ten years, we have paid ~A$71 billion taxes, royalties and other payments to governments.
- All of these factors last year added up to a total direct economic contribution in Australia of US$29.5 billion (including our payments to suppliers, wages and employee benefits, dividends, taxes and royalties).
Our contributions to Australia in FY2019 at a glance
For more information, read about our contributions globally.
1 FY19 actuals.
2 Figures rounded to the nearest decimal point. See the 2019 Economic Contribution Report for figures.