MSc (Mineral Production Management), BSc (Hons.) (Geology), AMP - Oxford Templeton College / Independent
Ian has been a Director of BHP Group Limited and BHP Group Plc since 1 April 2019.
Skills and experience:
Ian has extensive global mining operational, project and executive experience having initially trained as a geologist. He was formerly the Chief Executive Officer of Anglo American Coal and Chief Executive Officer and President of Gold Fields Limited, and a senior executive with AngloGold Ashanti and Anglo American Group. Ian is the Chair of Polymetal International plc and a Non-executive Director of I-Pulse Inc.
Ian is the former Chair of BlackRock World Mining Trust plc and the former Lead Independent Director of Ivanhoe Mines Ltd and former Director of Orica Limited and Endeavour Mining Corporation. He is a Director of the Leadership for Conservation in Africa (a not-for-profit organisation), and is the Chair of Conservation 360, a Botswanan conservation NGO dealing with anti-poaching initiatives. He is a former Director of Business Leadership South Africa, the South African Business Trust and the World Gold Council.
Other directorships and offices (current and recent):
- Chair of Polymetal International plc (since April 2019).
- Director of I-Pulse Inc (since April 2019).
- Former Director of Orica Limited (from 2010 to August 2019).
- Former Director (from 2013 to 2019) and Chair (from 2016 to May 2019) of BlackRock World Mining Trust plc.
- Former Director (from 2011 to June 2019) and Lead Independent Director (from 2012 to 2019) of Ivanhoe Mines Ltd.
- Former Director of Endeavour Mining Corporation (from 2013 to 2019).
- Former Executive Director and executive Chair (from 2010 to 2013) and Non-executive Chair (from 2013 to 2017) of Petmin Limited.
Board Committee memberships:
- Member of the Risk and Audit Committee.
- Member of the Sustainability Committee.