From a century-old industrial site of old mine buildings and slag, tailings and waste rock piles, the HSE Closed Sites team, together with the local community, have created a new local landmark, the Old Dominion Historic Mine Park.
The Old Dominion Mine in Globe, Arizona, mined copper from the late 1800s until 1931, and then sat untouched for many decades. BHP Billiton acquired the site in 1995 and, after completing an environmental clean-up, the site was in a state where it could be reclaimed.
A master plan was developed to create an end land use with a focus on visitor safety, recreation and conservation of environmental and historical resources. The team held community open houses and surveys to fully engage the public in design, and this resulted in the establishment of the Old Dominion Historical Mine Park Committee.
The Committee was instrumental to the success and sustainability of the post-mine land use, and today the park is a source of civic and historical pride, widely used by the community for recreation and tourism.