BHP Billiton Canada Inc. (BHP) is a leading global resources company with assets and projects in iron ore, petroleum, copper and coal. BHP proposes to construct a potash export facility at Fraser Surrey Docks in Surrey, B.C. to export potash from the proposed Jansen mine in Saskatchewan.
Subject to regulatory and internal approvals, BHP would design and construct an export facility to receive and store rail shipments of potash and load onto bulk ocean-going vessels.
Additional information about the company is available on BHP’s corporate website at and additional information about the Jansen mine can be found here.
What is Potash?
Potash, technically known as potassium chloride (KCI), is a naturally occurring mineral salt and a key ingredient in agricultural fertilizer, including common household garden fertilizers. Potash is non-flammable, non-combustible and is considered non-toxic to aquatic species. Similar to table salt, potash is mildly corrosive to metals, and is water-soluble so requires a dry location for storage. The world’s largest known reserves of potash are located in Saskatchewan, Canada. Potash is processed into solid particles that are approximately 3/16 inch (4 millimeters) in size and range from pink to red in colour.
Canada exports potash to countries like the United States, Brazil, Indonesia, China and India. About 95 per cent of potash consumption is for use in fertilizers, the remaining 5 per cent is used in a variety of chemical and manufactured products. Potash is a major contributor to improving crop yields and resilience and helps to feed the growing global population.
Potash is classified as a Group C Non-Hazardous Good as designated by International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes.
Complete the survey
About the project
The 27-ha site is located entirely on Fraser Surrey Docks property. The proposed facility, with a throughput of 8 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa), will:
- Receive shipments of product by rail from the proposed Jansen mine
- Offload products from rail cars to the conveyor system
- Store potash in the storage building
- Transfer products from the product storage building via the conveyors to the ship loader and to a waiting vessel for export
When throughput at the facility reaches the projected 8 million tonnes per annum, 9 to 10 trains per week are expected. Vessels loading at the facility are expected to range in size from Handysize up to Kamsarmax with three to four vessels loading per week.